Ben Sawyer has experience resolving complex construction and commercial disputes and has represented contractors and subcontractors in a broad range of claims and disputes across the country including hotel, casino, stadium, hospital, sewer and mining projects. Issues he has prosecuted and defended include claims for delay, acceleration, loss of productivity, incomplete or defective work, and fraud.
Ben’s recent representative experience includes:
- Representing a large, public engineering firm in connection with multi-million dollar claims by a subcontractor for fraud, fraudulent misrepresentation, and breach of contract, and prosecution of claims for breach of contract and tortious interference against the subcontractor. This resulted in a summary judgment entered against the subcontractor and the subcontractor’s payment of a substantial portion of the engineering firm’s claims.
- Representation of a major Georgia municipality in connection with multi-million dollar claims arising from the construction of five sewer rehabilitation projects, which included one of the first successful prosecution of claims arising under the Georgia Taxpayer Protection and False Claims Act on behalf of a municipality.
- Representation of a large, public engineering firm in connection with prosecution of claims for breach of contract and tortious interference against a major subcontractor.
- Representation of a large specialty design-build contractor in connection with the negotiation of commercial transactions exceeding $1Billion throughout North and South America.
- Representation of a construction manager against a mechanical subcontractor concerning the construction of a casino project valued in excess of $1 Billion in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Representation of a large, electrical contractor in connection with the construction of a hospital project in Dade County, Florida.
- Representation of a large, electrical contractor in connection with the construction of a university housing project in Georgia.
- Representation of a mining contractor in connection with a pipeline spill in Georgia.
In addition to resolving disputes, Ben advises clients on dispute avoidance, contract drafting, project issues, and various compliance issues. Representative examples include:
- Negotiating a $50 million design/build contract for an automated material handling facility project in Ohio.
- Negotiating a $35 million design/build contract for an automated material handling facility project in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
- Developed the standard general construction, design-build, and annual design services contract documents for a major municipality in Georgia
- J.D., with honors, Emory University School of Law, 2001
- B.A., magna cum laude, University of South Carolina, 1998
- Phi Beta Kappa
PROFESSIONAL HONORS AND AWARDS
- Selected for inclusion in Georgia Super Lawyers® “Rising Stars” (2007–2011, 2013-2015)
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- Member, Young Lawyers Division, State Bar of Georgia
- Secretary, Mount Vernon Woods Community Association